Navigating Now… from The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award is a brand new podcast that helps young people explore some answers to the big questions they have about life. Launching on Wednesday 12th of July, the concept was co-created between 31 young people from across the UK and award-winning podcast production and promotion company Mags Creative.
On Navigating Now, young people discuss the issues affecting them today, together with trusted guests such as Radio DJ & TV presenter, Melvin Odoom; Campaigner & Co-founder of Kids Against Plastic, Ella Meek, and former England Rugby Captain & Podcaster, Jonny Wilkinson.
Each episode is narrated by Elsie – a 15-year-old engineer-to-be who is currently working towards her Silver Duke of Edinburgh’s Award – and hosted by three different young people. Together, they dissect and comment on three big questions as they listen to suggestions and advice sent in from across the UK. Each host picks one suggestion to try out in their everyday lives, and records their progress in audio diaries that we get to hear across the series.
Elsie said: “I wanted to get involved with the Navigating Now podcast because it was the first real opportunity I had to get my voice out there and heard, and just to be an all-round advocate for my generation. Getting to work with other young people was so fun – once the introductions were over and everyone got to know each other, it was like we’d known each other for years and there were so many things we could relate with each other about.
“In this day and age, everyone is so interested in hearing what others have to say, and that’s exactly what this podcast does – allows people to listen into the minds of young people.”
The theme of the first episode of Navigating Now is ‘Identity’. Diving into the following questions, TV & Radio presenter and Invictus Games Medallist, JJ Chalmers, and seven-time Paralympic champion, Hannah Cockroft, share their experiences with Juliette, Anika and James, hosts of the first episode.
- How can I know what my ‘true self’ is if I’m constantly shifting who I am to try and fit in?
- How do I come to terms with the fact that I’m not the person I used to be and communicate to others that I am different to who they think I am?
- What are the ways we can help people feel body positive without making it seem that physical appearance is more important than their other qualities?
Themes in the upcoming season include:
- Navigating… Social Media with contributions from Podcaster and Author, Kate Ferdinand.
- Navigating… Community with contributions from Michelin-starred Chef & Community Activist, Tom Kerridge.
- Navigating… Mental Health with contributions from former England Rugby Captain and Podcaster Jonny Wilkinson, World Record Setting Adventurer and Extreme Remote & Hostile Locations Expert, Aldo Kane and Psychotherapist, Samantha Pennells-Nkolo.
- Navigating… Passions and Careers with contributions from Radio DJ & TV presenter, Melvin Odoom and TV presenter, Author & Travel Enthusiast, Charley Boorman.
- Navigating… The Environment with contributions from Wildlife expert, TV Presenter, Author & Conservationist, Chris Packham, Campaigner & Co-founder of Kids Against Plastic, Ella Meek, and Author, Playwright & Screenwriter, Laline Paull.
- Navigating… Relationships with contributions from TV Presenter & Broadcaster, Anna Richardson, Professional Matchmaker, Head of Research for Tinder & TV host, Paul Carrick Brunson, and Podcaster & Author, Kate Ferdinand.
In the final episode, our hosts reflect on their audio diaries and discuss how they got on trying out the tips shared across the series – did they get some answers to the big questions they have about life?
Find out more by listening to Navigating Now on Apple, Spotify, and on all major podcast platforms.
Follow the journey on TikTok @NavigatingNowPod.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Navigating Now is a Mags Creative Production brought to you by The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award with generous support from The Gosling Foundation and RSM UK, a leading audit, tax and consulting firm.
The thoughts and guidance shared and discussed in Navigating Now are suggestions and possible approaches, and listeners should always do what feels safe and right for them. If listeners are affected by the issues in the podcast or want to find out more, contacts and resources will be available on DofE.org.