We’re proud to announce the launch of the Mags Creative Summer Podcast Academy 2021.
What is the Summer Podcast Academy?
The Summer Podcast Academy is a free 6 week learning and mentoring program run by Mags Creative. The program will offer industry insights, expert knowledge and support for 12 podcasters from underrepresented communities.
Our goal is to tackle some of the structural inequalities that exist within the industry and use our expertise to provide the support needed to level up podcasts that may not otherwise have the opportunity.
We specifically encourage those who are Black, Asian or minority ethnic, have disabilities or identify as members of the LGBTQ+ community to apply.
Why do we think it’s necessary?
We exist in an industry that has the power to tell stories that might not otherwise be told. But there are still gatekeepers and inequalities to tackle.
The podcast industry is relatively nascent, vibrant and constantly evolving. This flexibility and accessibility is part of its charm, but it can also make it difficult to cut through.
What are we hoping to achieve?
The objective of the Summer Podcast Academy is to share industry knowledge and experience with 12 podcasters from underrepresented communities.
We hope these podcasters will develop skills and expertise that will supercharge the growth and development of their podcasts, ultimately encouraging a diversity of voices to thrive in the audio landscape.
And above all, we hope that everyone will enjoy the program! It will be a welcome opportunity to network and connect with other podcasters, to share experiences and learn from one another.
How does the program work?
The Summer Podcast Academy will take the form of 1 hour weekly learning sessions over 6 weeks, as well as a 1 hour one-to-one session with a Mags Creative producer. We will also facilitate networking opportunities within the group.
At the end of the 6 weeks, there will be the opportunity to join an ongoing community of podcasters to continue development and networking.
Throughout the 6 week program, we’ll cover the following:
- A one-on-one session with a Mags Creative producer to provide a deep dive into the competitive landscape around your show, make format suggestions, as well as share bespoke marketing and distribution ideas.
- 4 x 1 hour group learning sessions by industry experts from Mags Creative, followed by open Q&A sessions with fellow mentees
- A final ‘Pitch your Podcast’ session to culminate the program
- Entrance into a network of other podcasters
The group learning sessions will take place on Thursdays 6-7pm. Your one-on-one session with a Mags Creative producer can be arranged at a time to suit both parties.
What are the entry requirements?
- You will identify as a member of a underrepresented group, particularly Black, Asian or minority ethnic individuals, those with disabilities and those from the LGBTQ+ community
- Your podcast must be live, with at least 3 episodes released
- The podcast should not have been paid for by a commissioning body (eg. BBC, Spotify)
- The podcast may have brand sponsorship, but should not be a piece of branded content
- The entrant should be primarily based in the UK
- We welcome all ages, backgrounds and encourage those who are neurodiverse and disabled to apply. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss how your requirements may be accommodated by this application process (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Entries open on the 14th June and will close on 9th July.
Great! How do I apply?
Please apply by completing the form here.